Friday, April 8, 2011

A L'Arche welcome

This morning at work, I was asked to help one of my colleagues with a little story she was writing for our monthly newsletter, and it brought back the memory of my own welcome to the L'Arche Edmonton community.

Our community leader, a friend whom I've known since university, had invited me to go for an autumn walk with her because she wanted discuss the possibility of having me work for her on a part-time basis. When I arrived at the Community Centre, I didn't realize that there would be a group of core members from the Day Program to greet me. A few of them gathered around, and Darren, a non-verbal core member who had been standing beside the door when I arrived, came up behind me and very gently put his hands around my neck.

I was more than a little surprised, but having worked with people with disabilities before, I turned to my community leader-friend and said, "Is this a hug?" just as she said, "that's a hug." We both had to smile.

I see Darren almost daily now. Usually he is sitting at a table, using wax crayons to make multicoloured swaths on paper that are often used for greeting cards and the Day Program's art sales. Occasionally he lets out a hoot of delight, or waves his hands in a particular way to make himself understood. I've learned that he has a particular fondness for swings. At one Friday hot lunch, I found out that he LOVES ketchup on absolutely everything, and that he likes it even more if he can convince one of his friends to go the the kitchen and get it for him. He doesn't have to speak for the L'Arche community to understand him or his heart's desires.

I haven't quite gotten the hang of Darren's sign language, but I enjoy watching the people who have in their interactions with him. One thing's certain: I'll never forget how he gave me my first L'Arche hug.

No comments: