Saturday, January 7, 2017

A morning walk in Canmore

I'm in Canmore with my sisters, celebrating a significant birthday (not mine). We're hanging out together, marveling at mountain beauty, going for walks on frozen lakes and river edges, doing puzzles, reading books, watching the first season of Eli Stone, and just being sisters for a change under Canmore's "Three Sisters."  Faith, Hope and Charity, as they're known, looked beautiful in the early morning light from our big window:


Canmore, Alberta, is a lovely town just up the road from Banff, Alberta, with all the amenities, including a gorgeous new recreational centre known as Elevation Place (which has a library, beautiful swimming pool and climbing wall among other things) and a world class Nordic Centre. But as someone who is not a skiier, what I appreciate most are the walking trails around the town and its creeks. Here are a few pictures from the walk I took this chilly morning while my sisters watched a bit of curling. I often wish on my walks that I could take my readers with me but this is as close as I can come. You'll just have to imagine the crunch of snow underfoot, the sound of Bow River, and the fresh mountain air...


Above, Canmore Creek, would be a nice jigsaw puzzle picture...


This path seems to run right through town...


The Pond, a place for skaters in the winter...


Raven lives here, too...


I love the shape of these peaks, with the little valleys between them...
That's Mount Rundle at the far end of the row, 
and Cascade standing by herself at the far end of the valley...


The Three Sisters seen from the Engine Bridge...


Looking the opposite direction...


I met a lot of pedestrians on the trails...


In the shadow of the mountain it was a bit cooler -- -16 C while I was walking...


Ice in the water, but it's flowing pretty fast...


I think being here is a pretty awesome way to celebrate a significant birthday, surrounded by beauty and people who love you. I love being one of three sisters!

No comments: