Thursday, January 15, 2015

Simple Suggestion #224... Listen

Looking back through these simple suggestions, I've decided that my favourite ones have the shortest titles and need the least explanation. Today's is no exception.

Initially, I was going to call it "Use fewer words." But I've also been thinking a lot about the idea of not using words at all, just listening, and trying not to let anything get in the way of my listening -- to others, to God, to life around me. My own words and thoughts get in the way more often than I realize, and prevent me from really hearing. I miss too much of life that way!

I just wrote three examples to illustrate my point... and deleted them as I realized that it was too many words! I'll just say that I've learned a lot more by keeping my mouth shut and my ears open than I have by talking, and leave it at that.

Who will you REALLY listen to today?

P.S. For more Simple Suggestions, click here.

No comments: