Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sunday Reflection -- Too much change

It's funny how I always end up on this theme as summer comes to a close. I suppose it's probably because the changes in my garden in early September can't be ignored -- especially when the meteorologists are forecasting frost and snow for the week ahead.

But it also seems that, after the summer's freedoms are reigned in by shorter evenings and cooler temperatures, and we find ourselves indoors facing dark windows, there is time to consider the ebb and flow of life.

Last week, I learned that my neighbour, Olga, would be going into an independent senior's residence. She's already gone, and I didn't even get to have her over for supper one more time, or wish her well in her new digs. Her house is supposed to be put up for sale in the next few weeks, and it brings to mind the changes of last fall, when the 820 sq ft home of another old neighbour was torn down in the space of twenty-five minutes...


to be replaced by...


Though I much preferred Ruby's little house and her amazing garden to this, I've had a year to adjust to the changes across the alley. But losing Olga as a dear neighbour who was next door one day and gone the next makes for a tougher adjustment than living with the mess of having a new home go up behind us. Olga and I won't be chatting across our front lawns as we dig dandelions together from here on. I've just lost my fourth good gardener neighbour in five years.

And there are other changes happening in the neighbourhood -- homes being sold, others being knocked down and replaced, some people moving away, and others moving in. Change is the only constant... and I guess there's no choice but to live with that fact.

But Gracious God, please slow it down just a little! If you'd hold off on that frost for another week or two, I'd really appreciate it...

No comments: