Wednesday, September 3, 2014

How Lucy made my day

Yesterday was a big day at L'Arche, or so it seemed. Because it was the first work day in September at our Community Centre, most people who had been away on vacation returned, and we were almost at full capacity for the first time in what seemed like ages.

So what better time to have a fire drill? Especially since people don't complain as much about hurrying outdoors sans coats on a pleasant September morning!

There we all were, standing outside in the courtyard's sunshine, cracking jokes, greeting those we hadn't seen in a while, and responding to Barb's roll call, when Lucy* spied me and began to gesture that I come to her.

I've always felt a special connection to Lucy. She's non-verbal -- and I remember her from church when I was maybe ten or twelve years old. When she gets excited, she makes a sort of eehhhnnn, eehhhnnn sound, the meaning of which can be hard to decipher. But when I reached her side, she took my arm and pulled me down to her wheelchair level -- and delivered a great big warm hug.

There was no mistaking the meaning of the sounds she was making then. She was telling me, "I'm so glad to see you!"

And I told her that she made my day.

*I use pseudonyms for all of my friends with disabilities.

1 comment:

Eunkee Ban said...

How beautiful your friendship is!