Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gettin' the itch

This weekend, my wonderful husband and I spent some Valentine's time together working on our greenhouse construction. We managed to get the north side's plywood walls mostly finished to protect its R-40 insulation:


(Lest you think we have no romantic bones in our bodies, 
we also managed to attend a Valentine's Dinner and Dance on Saturday night!)


It was wonderfully warm in our special sun room yesterday. 
I've spent a little time online trying to determine what colour to paint
those plywood walls. I guess it should be a full-spectrum white, somehow.
Time in the greenhouse gave me the itch to get my fingers into some dirt,
so in the afternoon, I decided to start my peppers, and a few heirloom tomatoes.


Yes, it's a bit early, but I always find that it takes forever for pepper seeds
to germinate, and hopefully we'll be able to use the above space soon...
but for now, they'll be waiting and warming on the window sill.


I received my order from Heritage Harvest Seeds last week, 
and couldn't wait to plant Ukrainian Pear, Martino Roma and Black Prince
heirloom tomatoes, as well as my usual Jalapeno and Blushing Beauty peppers.
It was a balmy 3 degrees celcius outside (37F) when I was planting. 
I have dirt under my nails, and I know spring is coming.
Feels good after all the cold winter weather we've had!

No comments: