Tuesday, July 9, 2013

An update on Julia's garden... and the rest


I was having a lovely time sifting compost yesterday when thunder boomed overhead. I sighed, gathered up a few garden tools and put them away as the first raindrops spattered the garden paths. As I headed for the house, I saw six other garden jobs to do, but decided they could wait... and no sooner had I closed the door behind me when SPLOOSH! Down it came. Almost 2 cm (just under an inch). We seem to be having more than the usual rain all at once these days... every rainstorm.

What was funny was that earlier in the afternoon, I had called my girls out to water various thirsty looking plants. There was no rain in the forecast... and other parts of the city barely got wet while we had a deluge. But here I had put my girls to work for no good reason. Oh well, at least they weeded their vegetable boxes.

Julia's box is doing pretty well, though she planted her carrots more thinly than she intended, I think. A cut worm took out one of two tomato plants before we took him out, and one cucumber plant died. But that means there will be more room for the other two cucumbers, which will likely try a hostile takeover of the entire box.



And Suzanna's pumpkins are growing by the foot each night. Ever want to see something grow, day to day? The pumpkin is your plant. I don't think Jack threw down magic beans. They were pumpkin seeds! Suzanna's plants will probably try a hostile takeover of the ligularia/delphinium patch beside them, and half the lawn, too.


Here's a tour of the rest of the garden...


Lettuce and herbs...


potatoes and carrots...


A slow zucchini (I had to plant twice), chard and kale...


borage (to attract bees) and spaghetti squash climbing the trellis...


peas...


cukes...


leeks and onions...


beets...


TOMATOES...


peppers...


Saskatoon berries...


and strawberries (these have weird red flowers... an interesting hybrid, 
no doubt, but I like plain old white-flowered everbearing plants better, 
so maybe next year I'll get more of them and have a Canada themed
strawberry box in red and white).

Since we had such a good rain yesterday, you can bet I won't be bothering my girls to water today!

No comments: