Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Simple Suggestion #169... Grow your own herbal tea

I've been told that if you plant mint, it takes over your yard... and honestly, I wouldn't mind, because I love mint tea. Unfortunately, having mint run rampant through my flower beds has not been a problem thus far -- I can't even find last year's mint. So I was delighted when a neighbour brought me a few shoots to try again this year. I've spread them out among the lupines, columbines, and day lilies that you see at the top of my moodlings these days. Maybe they'll do better there.

I can pick a little fresh mint any time now... and if I add some lemon balm (right), that will make a really lovely tea. Not sure where my camomile went, but between the herbs I have growing in various places in my yard, I should be able to come up with an herbal tisane to rival the decaf fair trade coffee that's been my main morning beverage of late. I have yet to try brewing bergamot, lavender, sage, or thyme, but growing my own back yard tea is one step I can take to reduce my dependence on the fossil fuels required to transport coffees and other teas great distances for my enjoyment. And self reliance is always a good thing. Come autumn, I'll dry these tea herbs in the dehydrator another friend gave me so I can enjoy them through the winter. Maybe I'll give up on decaf permanently.

Along with the picture at the top of my moodlings these days, here are a few more photos of what's been happening in my yard. Maybe I'll pick me some lemon balm and mint right now, and take a cuppa tea out with me as I survey my little garden domain from my sitting stone...


The burgundy iris is in bloom...


...ladybugs on patrol among the lupines...


...finally got around to emptying the elm seeds that were sprouting 
in the rain water that's been collecting in our bird bath...


And here's my sitting stone, surrounded by Stella D'oro day lilies for the moment.
A good place to slow down and enjoy the little things in life with a cup of herbal tea...

Looking for more simple suggestions? Click here.

No comments: