Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The beauty in a rainy day

I'm a happy woman this morning. After a wonderful, long, family-oriented weekend, my husband and I managed to finish planting our garden, and for two days, the rain will come down, or at least that's what the meteorologists have promised.

It's a grey day with a nice solid drizzle, so I put on my favourite boots


and searched out the old IKEA ladybug umbrella 
that my girls won't use because it's not cool anymore, 
and I went for a walk in the rain.


As you can see, my street is gorgeous at the moment.
The ornamental crabapple and chokecherry trees are in bloom



and everything is green and clean.
But all the beauty isn't just for the eye.
I wish I could somehow convey the fragrance of the rain,
the sound of it dropping through the leaves, and
the voice of a robin singing the rain's praises
atop a tree nearby, his song
echoing down the street.
You'll just have to imagine it all,
unless you can walk down
your own rainy street.


One thing is sure:
Winnie-the-Pooh, found on the sidewalk last week
and set on our fencepost,
won't be getting much of a tan today.


Have a beautiful day, rainy or not!

No comments: