Sunday, December 4, 2011

Something from the North for a Sunday

My mom-in-law sent me the video below yesterday... thanks, Mom! It was put together by a bunch of kids, and their teacher, I'm guessing, from Kuinerrarmiut Elitnaurviat School in Quinhagak, Alaska. They're the same age as my youngest daughter, having fun with the Hallelujah chorus. It was probably filmed in early October, I'm guessing, because this time of year, there's not that much daylight, or so my husband's cousin tells us (he's been up in Cambridge Bay for almost a year). Leo has all sorts of interesting stories about life and work without sunlight of any sort. I keep wishing he would start his own blog, because the stories he tells are fascinating to us southerners (and he's a good writer, with a wonderful sense of humour). Or maybe the kids of Quinhagak could blog about life in their part of Alaska. We southerners need you northerners to dispel the stereotypical images that fill our heads when it comes to the far north.

Anyway, there's so much to love about this piece of music, and I like how the kids involved a lot of people from their community. Enjoy!



No comments: