Monday, November 7, 2011

Simple Suggestion #99... Teach a child a game from your childhood

Do kids these days know how to play Monopoly without a computer? Hopscotch? Scrub? Do they know any of those skipping rhymes we used to use as kids? Checkers? Chinese Checkers? Snakes and Ladders? Rummy? War? Kick the can or Anti-I-Over? Red Rover?

I'm showing my age, I know... but I remember how much fun it was to play games as a kid, in a house, in a box, in a tree, in the park, in the dark, and anywhere else games could possibly be played. My girls have mostly reached the age where they're not that anxious to play any more... but that doesn't mean it's too late to share a game or two from my childhood. They seem to like some card games, and the odd times that I've talked them into putting aside their books or computers, we've had fun with different things, like Aggravation or our mini pool table (2x3 feet). I hope that technology never gets to the point where people forget how to play together.

Now where did that Monopoly game go? Julia and I are determined to find it.

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

No comments: