Friday, October 21, 2011

Art from the Unknown

It's been a while since I've moodled about my friends at L'Arche. For the past week or so, they've been getting geared up for a wonderful event called "Art from the Unknown 2011," the evidence of which was on Harry*'s hands when he came to my desk on Monday.

"Hi, my boy," he said, his usual greeting.
"Harry! What happened to your hands?" I asked.
He looked at me, uncomprehending, like it's the most normal thing in the world for the palm of a person's hand to be fluorescent purple. I took his hand, turned it over and showed it to him.
"Oh," he mumbled, waving me off and muttering about painting pictures. I wish there was a way to convey his charming but garbled way of speaking, but it's beyond my ability. He started telling me a story about his roommate, paint already forgotten.

If you're able, I'd encourage you to check out "Art from the Unknown," which opens tonight in the Old Strathcona Centre for the Performing Arts at 8426 Gateway Boulevard. It's a free gallery, hosted by MLA Rachel Notley, for more than sixty emerging and unknown artists, who get 100% of any sale monies as the gallery waives commission. This evening is the grand opening, and there will be entertainment and refreshments throughout the weekend. The show's hours run 6-9 pm tonight, 9-6 p.m. Saturday, and 12-4 p.m. on Sunday.

I hope to get to the show, as I've always wanted a painting by one of our core members. I love their abstracts! And if we're all there at the same time, perhaps I can introduce you to Harry, too.

*I use pseudonyms online for all my L'Arche friends.

4 comments:

Laeli said...

Thank you so much for the information!
I collect art but mostly from people who's names the rest of the planet have never heard.
I looove abstract too. I can't wait to see the show!

Anonymous said...

This was a highly interesting posting. I especially enjoyed reading about your L'Arche friends. It reminded me about the struggles to find loving redemption in a beautiful book called Tattoos on the Heart. A priest friend recommended it to me. He loves Nouwen, Vanier and L'Arche as well. Thanks again.

Maria K. said...

Ahh, there are so many wonderful books about loving redemption when it comes to L'Arche. Nouwen's _Adam_ is my favourite. And I'm with you, Lael -- my home is filled with unknown artists' work.

Phil said...

Thanks for prmoting Art from the Unknown 2011.

We had a great turn-out this year and really enjoyed having L'Arche participate again. What great people.

Cheers,

Phil Johnson
CA for Rachel Notley