Friday, August 19, 2011

#61/100 Simple Suggestions... Grow your own herbs

I'm a latecomer to the world of herbs, but I guess you could say I'm an all out convert. Especially since I've been acquiring some wonderful recipes that call for different herbs, and a neighbour gave me Lois Hole's book, Herbs and Edible Flowers: Gardening for the Kitchen (2000, Hole's, ISBN 0-9682791-3-9). Oh, the flavours I can grow in my own back yard!


Basil, both this wonderful purple, and a green one,


Oregano, a must for my canned spaghetti sauce,


Sage, which just smells so good and is great in my mom's chicken dressing,


Lemon Balm makes a lovely tea,


Dill is essential for our pickled cucumbers,


and I'm really looking forward to making some Tabouli next week with my Parsley!


I didn't take pictures of Mint, Savoury, Rosemary, Thyme or Cilantro, but they're out there, too. My herb collection has been expanding over the years as friends have introduced me to new ones. My sister-in-law gave me a pot of herbs for my birthday three years ago, and that, coupled with my girlfriend's gift of lemon balm, started the herb patch idea. This year I'll have enough to dry and use through the winter.

Even if I didn't have the herb patch, I think I'd have to try to grow a little pot of herbs on a windowsill somewhere. They're a simple way to improve flavour (even just a little dill in scrambled eggs!) and please the palate... and growing them makes me happy!

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

No comments: