Wednesday, August 10, 2011

#55... Learn massage

Here's a suggestion I have yet to take myself. Sure, I can rub my husband's sore muscles until they feel better, but I don't really know what I'm doing, and sometimes I fear that I'm doing more harm than good. Even so, a gentle back, foot or head massage can do wonders to relax both massager and massagee. Touch is a powerful tool that seems to get short shrift in a world where political correctness seems to indicate that we keep one another at arm's length. The simplicity of a massage, even just a momentary shoulder rub, can create a sense of connectedness and peace in a stressful situation, removing heartache as much as or more than muscle fatigue.

I'm sure professional massage therapists would suggest that if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it, but I say, if I'm gentle, my touch can be a good thing. My youngest would definitely agree, as she often asks for a light back rub before bed. So why not? It may be a while before I actually get to learn massage officially. In the meantime, unofficial can be good too. Just ask Julia.

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

No comments: