Thursday, April 7, 2011

Someone of whom I'm proud

Many years ago, I had the privilege of being a teacher for three years. I have fond memories of my students, though I'm only intermittently in touch with one or two of them. I like to be reminded of them now and again.

Yesterday an email reminded me of a fellow who was in my class when I was a rookie. Shane was a pretty quiet little guy with deep dimples and a mischievous gleam in his eye. He drew many pictures for me, a few of which I still possess, and he loved to sing. He was the kid who always asked me to get my guitar out if we had a few spare minutes at the end of a school day.

Yesterday's email wasn't from Shane, but it was all about his burgeoning career as a country and western artist. I watched this video, and was amazed at the way he plays guitar, that strong right shoulder moving with the rhythm. Two years ago, I was lucky enough to see him perform on the Canada Day stage in Ottawa as the Snowbird jet team flew over. I felt quite proud of my former student, and happy for him. I hope life as a musician is treating him well.

1 comment:

catherooney said...

Nice. He still has the dimples!