Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Everybody has a role

Today at L'Arche, the usual characters from our downstairs Day Program came up to my office for a visit. Thomas had to find out if I was still sick (I have a cold) and where I parked my car (I caught the bus). Harry had to make sure the chairs were in the right place and tell me (in his humourously expressive but garbled speech) about his roommate's comings and goings. Sandy straightened my papers and wanted to help me shred a few things that, unfortunately, I didn't want to shred (I promised her we would shred things together another day). Jane just wanted to shake hands and say hello.

Everybody who comes upstairs has an important role to play in the structure of the day. Thomas is our head-counter and parking patrolman (I especially enjoy him when he tells me, point blank, that my vehicle is dirty). Harry is our furniture arranger and kibbitzer. Sandy is office assistant and chief photocopier button pusher. And Jane is our hospitality gal. While I don't think any of them could name or explain the importance of their roles, I know that if they weren't there to fulfill their adopted responsibilities, I would miss them. Each one of them makes a day so much brighter in some small way.

When I think about it, it's like that with all the people in my life. Everyone has a role to play. Some roles stand out more than others, some are quieter and behind the scenes. They all carry some significance that often can't be measured or named. Still, if one is missing, the difference is felt. The trick is to appreciate each one, because every person has something unique to teach me about what it is to be fully alive.

No comments: