Tuesday, December 14, 2010

If it was your last Christmas...

What would you do differently if you knew that this was to be your last Christmas on this side of the grass? What would be most important in your comings, goings and doings? What would you leave by the wayside?

I just paid a visit to two of my favourite people, the neighbours we had before we moved to our present home. They are getting up there in age, and have had various health issues over the last few years, so when I pop in on them for a visit, I'm never quite sure what I'll find. Today, I received some sad news. While both of them are quite accepting of how things are, they told me that he has colon cancer, and is choosing not to continue treatment.

"I'm eighty-nine, and I've never been sick until now. I think I've had a pretty good run," he said, philosophical as ever. He's not as strong as he used to be. Radiation was hard work, and he has no way of knowing that chemo will make any difference to the length or quality of his days left. I think he is wise to try to live what's left as fully as possible without spending hours and days at appointments.

It makes me really sad (here I stop and cry for a few minutes because I love him) but it is also a gift, in a way, to know that he views his life as being rich and full. I am also gifted by the awareness he gives me of the wonder and beauty of special friends that touch our lives. And by the way he presents the fact of the matter: not one of us knows for certain that this isn't our last Christmas on earth. Something could happen to take me from this life I love before my friend leaves it. It's not something anyone wants to think about, but it is true.

So the gift my friend gives me today is this pause to consider... If this was to be my last Christmas, what should be most important? Certainly not presents. Decorations? Bah. Making perfect Christmas cookies? Hardly. More certainly, it's PRESENCE with the people I love, how I connect with them, and the legacy of memories that will be created.

What's most important to you this Christmas?

No comments: