Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Convenience vs. saving the planet

Okay, I'll admit it. I drove to work today. And I've driven to work probably twenty out of twenty times in the past two months (I work part-time). The reason that this is something I don't like to admit is that my workplace is only a twelve minute bike ride or a thirty-six minute walk from where I live. There's really no excuse for taking our vehicle and adding to carbon emissions most days. Especially since I have a wonderful bike, and I enjoy walking.

So why don't I use my "alternative transportation" more often? I rode my bike all summer, but somehow, when school started, I got sucked back into that factor known as convenience, coupled with something we might call laziness. If I drive, I arrive at work in five minutes flat, unflushed in the face, unruffled in the hair, and unsweaty, period, and I arrive home in the same smooth condition. I also have a few extra minutes on both ends to futz around in my own space at my own pace.

When I walk or cycle, my cheeks are pink, my hair is messy, and I feel damp until that light perspiration evaporates. But I also take unbusy streets, avoiding the five-legged spider of a traffic circle where cars crawl and blood pressure rises. I enjoy the gifts of the seasons: light in the sky, birdsong, the smell of tree blossoms or fall leaves, the colours of growing things, or the secret sleeping mounds of plants hidden under the snow. My lungs fill with fresh air and my heart thumps rhythmically and my doctor has no reason to insist upon cholesterol medication before my time.

Most importantly, though, when I travel on foot or two wheels, I'm living simply. I save the planet, just a little bit, for future generations. Oh, I know I'm not making a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but what I can do now could matter in the long run, especially if other people join me in my little plot to use less of the earth's resources. Actually, a lot of people are already on the "saving the planet" kick. And if I'm at all wise, I will get more serious in this regard, too. I'll plan ahead, get organized early, and walk or cycle to work.

No comments: